The first church to stand on the current site of All Saints was completed in 1286. By the end of the 18th century, however, this Gothic building had reached a state of sad disrepair and was no longer suitable for the needs of the rapidly growing city of Newcastle.
In 1786 it was unanimously decided by the parishioners that the original building should be completely replaced. David Stephenson, a leading architect from North East England, was commissioned to design the new church. The building work lasted for a decade and was finally completed in 1796 at a total cost of £27,000. The resulting distinctive spire, beautiful elliptical nave and imposing doric portico of All Saints continue to shape to Newcastle’s skyline.
All Saints continued to serve as a church until 1961, at which time it was deconsecrated for use by the Town Teacher initiative. On account of its remarkable acoustic properties, the building was subsequently used by the Royal Northern Sinfonia for concerts and rehearsals prior to the completion of the Sage Gateshead.
In 2019 Gateshead Presbyterian Church (now All Saints Presbyterian Church) signed a 150 year lease for All Saints and commenced extensive restoration work in preparation for resuming weekly worship services. The opening dedication service held on 13 October 2019, celebrated a poignant return to the intended purpose of All Saints, a building that has played a central role in the city of Newcastle for over 7 centuries.